|Primeira mosca||12 December 1938|
O Fairey Albacore was a British single-engine torpedo bomber built by Fairey Aviation between 1939 and 1943 for the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm and used during the Second World War. It had a crew of three and was designed for spotting and reconnaissance as well as level, dive, and torpedo bombing. The Albacore, popularly known as the “Applecore”, was conceived as a replacement for the Fairey Swordfish, which had entered service in 1936. However, the Albacore served alongside the Swordfish and was retired before it, being replaced from 1944 by two monoplane designs, the Fairey Barracuda and Grumman Avenger.
|Fairey Albacore Walk Around|
Encontre kits no eBay:
The Fairey Albacore was a single-engine biplane torpedo bomber that served in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm during the Second World War. It was designed and produced by the British aircraft manufacturer Fairey Aviation, and was intended to replace the older Fairey Swordfish. However, the Albacore did not offer much improvement over the Swordfish, and was eventually replaced by monoplane designs such as the Fairey Barracuda and the Grumman Avenger.
The Albacore had a crew of three and a closed cockpit for better protection. It could carry a single 18-inch torpedo or up to 2,000 lb of bombs. It could also perform spotting and reconnaissance missions, as well as level and dive bombing. The Albacore first flew on 12 December 1938, and entered service in March 1940. A total of 800 Albacores were built, but only 400 were used operationally by the Royal Navy.
The Albacore saw action in various theatres of war, including the Mediterranean, where it participated in the Battle of Cape Matapan in 1941, and North Africa, where it supported the Second Battle of El Alamein in 1942. It also operated from land bases in East Africa, Malta and the Middle East. Some Albacores were used for special duties such as mine-laying and anti-mosquito spraying. The Albacore was also used by the Royal Air Force and the Royal Canadian Air Force, which operated the type until 1949.
The Albacore was nicknamed “Applecore” by its crews, and was generally well-liked for its handling and stability. However, it was slower and less manoeuvrable than its enemies, and suffered from poor visibility and maintenance problems. The Albacore was gradually phased out from frontline service from 1943 onwards, and was retired from all service by 1950. Today, only one Albacore survives, and is on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum near Bristol, United Kingdom.
Visualizações : 615